Wakonse is a word from the Lakota Indian language meaning to teach, to inspire. The Wakonse Foundation brings together people who find inspiring and influencing others is what they do for a living. This award provides financial support for students to go to a conference on teaching, and there are multiple recipients every year.
Wakonse Teaching Conference
- At least one semester of teaching experience as an instructor or teaching assistant (TA)
- At least one year of graduate school remaining after the Wakonse Conference has ended to be completed on the ISU campus
- A willingness to participate in CELT programming and occasional discussion groups focusing on issues relevant to graduate student instructors
Applicant experience and recognition
- Applicants with more teaching experience will be given preference because they will be able to better apply, communicate, and understand the information from the conference
- Applicants who have received awards and recognition for their teaching will be given preference because they have received recognition for dedication/skill for teaching.
Third criteria: Equity and diversity
- An attempt will be made to ensure diversity of majors, gender, and ethnicity among applicants.
To apply please click here: WAKONSE APPLICATION
Please note that CELT hosts the application, requirements, details, etc. and GPSS provides some funding and application review. GPSS will select finalists to send to CELT faculty for final review/selection. For more details, please email CELT.